Friday, October 1, 2010

Halloween Countdown Day 1

In past years, I have tried, with varying degrees of success,to do a Halloween blogging marathon during the month of October. I can't say that this year will be any more successful than last, but I'm going to give it a shot. So, check in regularly for posts about horror movies and comics over the next month.

I'd also like to thank the people at the Countdown to Halloween website for organizing all the blogs that are participating in this marathon. If you haven't done so, go over to the site and check out some of the other cool stuff people are doing this month.

To start off, I want to share one of my favorite horror movie scenes, from the 1962 Hammer film, Kiss of the Vampire:



The atmosphere of this scene is perfect, as is the way the tension builds to the final, satisfying payoff. And while that payoff comes as a shock, it's earned through the slow, meticulous build-up.

Keep coming back all month for more of the Halloween Countdown!

1 comment:

Allen Mauldin said...

Also, what I love about this scene is how so much is said without words. We only get a few that are understandable to the general public, but the way Clifford Evans' character is situated to appear literally on top of all the others in this scene makes him so ominous and frankly badass. I would hate to ruin the movie for others who may not have seen it, but I really love the convention of using evil to combat evil.