Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Gil Kane Punch of the Week 16: What I Need to Be a Man

Because my last post has proven to be one of the more popular entries I've done, perhaps because it captures the Nazi zeitgeist that is sweeping the nation right now, I'm taking this week's punch from the same Howard Chaykin/Gil Kane story, "Flyer," from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight 26 (Jan. 1992).



Kane really goes nuts with the unconventional panel layouts in this story, which can also make scanning the images a challenge.

I had some concern that this may not even be a punch (in fact, the entire story has many more great kicks than it does good punches), but I concluded that the motion lines seem more lined up with a punch than a kick, though Curt has definitely left the ground to take this shot. I would be glad to field opposing arguments in the comments.

Also, I want to take a moment to praise Steve Oliff's coloring on this story. In particular, I love the blues he uses on Batman's cape and cowl.

2 comments:

Robert McKinney said...

Punch, kick ... it's all good.

Sea-of-Green said...

Anything that sends Batman flying is definitely a punch suspect.